Monday, March 9, 2009

Part Time

I'd finally lived up my promise to get a job during the holiday. A great achievement for me if you ask me. XD And I reckon this is probably the most productive thing I've ever done during the holiday.

I've never imagined myself going to a furniture fair anytime soon, let alone working in one. Heck I didn't even know they have fairs for furniture, at least not until Daniel introduced us to MIFF, which stands for Malaysian International Furniture Fair.

The job interview was fairly easy and 8 of us, Daniel, CW, Jun, Me, CK, Hannah, Chean and Janice got the job. But CW couldn't make it for the job due to some reasons. All of us wanted to get a 9-day job but only Daniel, CK and Jun got it. Janice got a 7-day job while Hannah, Chean and I got a mere 5-day job. Sigh... Imagine the money fun we'd missed out.

All of us have been assigned to different posts. I worked as an usher. As far as I'm concerned you ought to have handsome/pretty face or good communication skills to fit the job best, of which I possess neither. -.-

Anyway, being an usher is something new to me. And it's a even newer experience to have your classmates becoming your colleagues, which made me feel so old. -.-

Our job is actually quite fun, and interesting, and tiring at the same time. Basically our job is just...


...standing and posing like...



...a staff. It's quite obvious actually cause they even included the job description on our tags.


Pretty self-explanatory

Well, actually our job ALSO includes giving directions, directing visitors to the respective counters, guiding the visitors in filling registration forms, and the toughest of all, stopping children and guys with short pants from entering the fair. It's pretty hard to stop these people, especially those who came in short pants, cause they weren't well informed at the first place by the organizers so we had a hard time justifying ourselves, and that created a bunch of indignant visitors. -.- And when we cannot refute their arguments, they simply throw their tantrums/bitch fits/dissatisfaction to us, ignoring the fact that we're just merely pawns of the company. Yet we have to put on fake smiles and aplogize profusely as if that's entirely our fault. -.- And worse still, some of them actually think that we're giving them a hard time on purpose as if they worth bothering VERY MUCH. Pfft...

Sigh...

And there are people who were very considerate. Some of them actually took the effort to get changed and come back again. Some are polite, greeting us Hello chicken How are you today? while some simply ignored us even if we greeted them or offered our help.

And of course, the people you meet/work with. There are 5 ushers, including me, and Chean, the only usherette working at the main counter. There's Joseph, the always-curi-tulang lengzai, then Kee Seng whom I prefer calling Kissing, Gilbert the over-semangat-possibly-metrosexual fella, Kin Mun the funny guy, and of course Chean who's constantly looking at the clock and complaining about her back. :P

There she goes again towards the end of the day XD

There's this time, which is the ONLY time Chean and I curi tulang took the opportunity to walk around the hall for like 5 minutes. When we came back, we decided to get some free popcorns to eat (Note:) AFTER work. One of my colleagues wasn't quite happy with it and reminded us not to simply leave our station. Well, it kinda irked us because well, he's been doing that all these while. What's more, he's been taking like 4 times the time we took to finish our meal everyday. -.-

There are many lookalikes I've spotted among the staffs there. There are Benny-lookalike, KevinTan-lookalike, KharKeong-lookalike, Lara-lookalike, LydiaTsum-lookalike, Janice's-sister-lookalike, KianHan's-brother-lookalike, MichaelJackson-lookalike, WeiLun-lookalike, LingKeat-lookalike, and some other I couldn't remember. Heck there's even one fella who look very much like me...


Oh wait... That's me. :P

The thing I like about this job is the opportunity to interact with all kinds of people. Getting to meet and speak to all the angmoh's is actually quite fun. It's not really that difficult as I expected. It's in fact, very exciting to speak to them, it even makes me feel like traveling. XD And one more thing, you'll get to dress in formal business attire. I mean, how often does a student get to wear full formal attire? I think I kinda enjoy wearing the coat and all that. XD

I'm sure those who had been following the news know about the flood occurred not long ago in PWTC. It's quite severe as the river overflowed, cars had been destroyed by the floods, two of the exhibition halls have been flooded, and the furniture inside were destroyed. Then there's this minor riot by the exhibitors asking for compensation. Very dramatic but I like cause it's making the job less boring. It's quite a close call. -.- Luckily Chean parked her car in the car park or else her car would be totally submerged under the overflowing water...

The water was much higher before this photo was taken...

...and that I wouldn't be able to go home. Cause I shamelessly tumpang her car everyday to and fro. Hey at least I'm doing a favor to the environment by practising car pooling. :P Well if not for her I would have trouble to get to work and home, so thank you Chean. :)

Things I've Noticed Through the Experience

1. I notice that people are more friendly than I do. As in, they usually say hi to me rather than the other way around.
2. I hesitate alot when I'm speaking to people. -.-
3. I actually felt guilty when somebody's blaming me for something that's not my fault at all except for that particular bitch who claimed that I purposely find fault in her husband. -.-
4. I started to like to talk. XD
5. I have a high level of patience and tolerance... :)

It's overall a very nice experience and seriously I enjoy the week much more than I would have imagined myself to. Even though I felt like I've left my legs in PWTC every time I come home, the high pay experience itself made it up.

One last photo before ending the super long post...

The Kensett gang... except the other two who were missing...

PS : On the last day after we've finished our work, our supervisor came and talked to us, asked how were we doing and all that.

Of which she had finally confessed that the reason we've been selected for the ushering job is because we were kinda late for the interview and if we were slightly earlier we could have landed ourselves a better job.

Clearly it has nothing to do with any of the qualities I've mentioned earlier...

Dang... I should've known better. -___-''

No comments:

Post a Comment